MYKONOS - DAY OFF 16X20 in., Acrylic on canvas, SOLD



"This beautiful fishing boat, typical of the craft that set out each day to bring in the fish that is served at restaurant tables, sat on blocks this day. The shore walk is almost empty of people today. The cruise ship comes in tomorrow." Of course when I was at this port, the place was teeming with tourists. In speaking to the proprietors I learned that when the cruise ships are not anchored offshore, the town is very quiet. I envisioned what the 'day off' would look like and that is how I painted it. I was capturing the warmth of the sun on the sand, the buildings and awnings. I gave the impressions of buildings on the distant hillsides. I battle to be less detailed and more impressionistic. This painting and the one that follows next were done on gessoed canvas, three coats of gesso. I find that I don't like working on the surface with acrylics because the gesso is so absorbant that the acrylic dries super fast and any ability to blend and make soft edges is diminished. Oils will work better on this prepared surface.

Framed in a front loading black frame, it is stunningly simple and elegant.

No comments: