Old Russian Woman, oil on canvas, 20X24 inches, abandoned

This painting dated 1964 has a story. As a youth in March 1965 I traded this painting for a 57 VW Beetle to transport me to college. Then thirty-one years later in 1996 the owner returned the painting to me believing that it should be a heritage piece for my family. In fact, he wrote on the back of the painting his intention that my oldest child should become the recipient of this painting. At the time it was returned to me, I was visiting from my home four provinces away - a 4.5 hour flight. It could have been packaged and sent or carried with me. I chose to leave it in the care of a relative who desired one of my paintings. That was 1996. Then to my surprise in 2007 the painting once again became mine but once more I chose not to ship it home but rather tucked it behind my father's living room couch. When we cleaned the apartment following my parents' deaths, I examined the painting for workmanship and condition of canvas and paint and made the decision that I would not keep it. I was sure my family did not have a place for this painting. With noone to whom to give it, I left it in a public place with a sign that it was free for the taking, and with my contact information if someone wanted to let me know they had it. I have heard nothing. That's OK. The painting served me well, gave pleasure to a few for a long time.

No comments: