3 GRANDBOYS & PAPA ON A LARGE LEATHER COUCH

January 6th 2014
My first painting start of the 2014, 24X30 inch oil on canvas. This one has been in my heart for a long time. It's time to come to life. My 3 grandsons and I pictured in 2008 at a lakeside house in Tulameen B.C. lying together on a massive leather couch.
Using a photo reference I have sketched my image on a well prepped canvas surface, 4 coasts of gesso. Body shapes will be refined and sized better as the painting develops. This painting will be for myself, until it gets passed on. Here it sits on my large easel by my studio light.


Now (BELOW) with the first application of some paint, the dark green leather is roughed in with its striking highlights from the bright light of the window behind the subjects.



The couch is not near completion. Other highlights and definition will come after I get body shapes completed. First, however, the faces must be done.

Beginning to fill in the likenesses, I have to get this right enough to recognize (BELOW). Once I am assured I have the facial images, I can work with broad strokes to complete the arms, legs and clothing - me without the beard I have been wearing for five years. So my grandsons and I were a lot younger when this image was made & I now try to immortalize it.


January 8, 2014
A close up of the work done so far on my head. The colour of my face is much darker, tanned than the boys will be as the sunlight pours in from the window, Detail paint work is permitted to appear rough because the purpose is the visual affect when the viewer stands back to view the entire scene.









This is Jan 11, 2014 and to the photo series below I will add today, the latest addition. Jayden's face has been filled in. There's much more work to come but at least he is there, and I have a better sense that this project may work for me. It was the spontaneous delight that all four of us had that compelled me to try this. I have always loved this photo memory. Why not paint it.

January 29th, and I paint just a little bit each day. I am seeking to capture the facial likenesses and that is my preoccupation. Until I am sure that I can live with the faces as reasonably close to my grandsons five years ago, I am not moving on to the clothes and the completed couch and the, as yet undetermined background. Now, however, I can add a photo that shows that Ryan on the lower left and Kale on the right have been achieved about as well as I think I can do it. You will notice that Kale, (far right) was holding his lambie while sucking his thumb. Although he was known to do that and family would recognize that, I wanted to see his face, so I painted that next. That was work, to arrive at a likeness with which I was satisfied could represent him.

There is still some shading to both faces that may generate a bit more life as well. the great challenge for me has been working with photo images that were not taken with high definition, so blowing them up is not helpful. I still have fuzzy resolution.


Alright, it's time for you to see the progress to date … it's Monday February 3rd. Remember, I do only brief painting episodes on this large piece each day. The progress seems slow. However, this provides me a lot of reflective time. It sits and stares back at me and I notice things I need to change in composition or refinement. So, the state you see next, is with faces and clothing completed to my satisfaction, the landscape roughed in behind the massive green leather couch which is also yet unfinished. The landscape, Lake Otter, will likely be obscured by vertical white or cream blinds, allowing a nostalgic glimpse of that outside. I don't want that background to compete with the figures.

Finished painting, "Papa Tells a Story'
February 25th and now I can put up the finished painting, which has vertical blinds in the window, and just the hint of the outside scene of Otter Lake and the surrounding hills. The couch has been refined, and touches all over the piece where I wanted to highlight, soften or lose something.

It now hangs above my desk for me to enjoy.



No comments: